These are past writing campaigns. Feel free to use any of them for your current postcards and letters or to get ideas for upcoming campaigns.
Past U.S. Writing Campaigns and Topics
- Write your Members of Congress to urge action on climate change. Citizens' Climate Lobby has a form and suggested outline you can use.
- Georgia’s own Sonny Perdue has been making significant changes at the USDA during his tenure. Farm Futures states, “He may be the most aggressive enforcer of President Donald Trump’s pro-business and deregulatory agenda that the fewest Americans have ever heard of. “ According to this same article, “The short Perdue list includes reversing a regulation to boost protection of the welfare of animals in organic-food production; supporting revocation of a 2015 clean-water directive; axing another Obama-era decree giving small poultry producers more power to sue big buyers such as Tyson Foods Inc.; and reorganizing the USDA to give more official power to staffers tasked with promoting production and trade rather than food safety or rural development.“
Read the entire article to more fully understand the impact Perdue is making on US farming and small farmers. Write to Sonny Perdue and let him know you see him, you see what he is doing, and you will be contacting your MOC to urge them to look into his policies.
U.S. Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20250
- Of course we want to see Scott Pruit, EPA Head, fired and that was on our list last week. We need an EPA Administrator that is willing to put environment first in all actions. Pruitt is actively working against environmental protections and has pulled back on regulations for lead paint (really? who is pro-lead paint???), smog, car/tailpipe emissions, power plant emissions, pesticides, mercury and methane emissions, and ozone-damaging emissions. Tell Pruitt we demand pro-environment stances. Let Trump and your MOCs know we demand our environment be protected. There is no PLANET B!
William Jefferson Clinton Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Mail Code: 1101A
Washington, DC 20460
- Our friends at 2 Hours a Week suggested this and we think it is a great idea. You can follow 2 Hours a Week on FB or their mailing list. There recent FB post:
Activity for White People:
1. Look up the name and address of the Chief of Police of the place where you grew up, or went to college, or have lived for a long time.
2. Write a letter to that person. Say you’ve lived in the area you’re worried for the black community members there because nationwide they are shot by police at higher rates than any other community members. Ask what is being done about this. Ask about deescalation training efforts. Say that non-action isn't acceptable. Ask for a response to your letter.
3. Mail the letter.
4. If you don’t hear back in two weeks, write again.”
- Enough! It is time for Scott Pruitt to go! First and foremost, he is no protector of our environment. You need only look back in our past write campaigns to note how many times we’ve called him out for lack of protection of the environment. In addition, his overspending on his own security has come “at a steep cost to taxpayers as his swollen security detail blew through overtime budgets and at times diverted officers away from investigating environmental crimes.” Urge your Members of Congress (MOC) to publicly call for the ouster of Scott Pruitt. (From AP News)
- In what feels like another Orwellian attack on the free press, the Department of Homeland Security wants to compile a database “to track the comings and goings of journalists, bloggers and other ‘media influencers.’” If you are against this, please let the DHS and your MOCs know.
Read more here.
The Honorable Kirstjen M. Nielsen
Secretary of Homeland Security
Washington, D.C. 20528
- Mike Pompeo's confirmation hearing for Secretary of State is scheduled for Thursday April 12th. If you are against his confirmation please let your Senator know. You can read up on Pompeo from a variety of news sources including BBC, Fox News, NY Times, and Miami Herald.
- On March 16, two days before Andrew McCabe's retirement, Attorney General Jeff Sessions fired the Deputy FBI Director. Sessions needs to answer questions about this firing and our Members of Congress (MOC) should investigate this as a possible attempt to silence those investigating Russia. Write both AG Sessions and your MOC.
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
- Trump’s choice to replace the ousted National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, is John Bolton, a war monger that has publicly stated we should declare war on Iran and North Korea. As an advisor, Bolton does not have to go through the confirmation process and is slated to start work April 9, 2018. “House intelligence committee Ranking Member Adam Schiff, D-Calif., suggested in a tweet that McMaster's departure and Bolton's appointment would put ‘our nation's security at risk.’” Urge your MOC to condemn this choice.
- Ivanka Trump should not be meeting with South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha now that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has been ousted. Let President Trump and your Members of Congress know if this “blatant nepotism” bothers you. Read more at Yahoo.
- URGENT: Please do this today, as Mitch McConnell has called for an end to debate and for a vote. Call, fax, or email your MOC. Join the Human Rights Campaign and urge your MOC to reject judicial nominee Kyle Duncan. HRC’s David Stacy says, “His agenda to undermine LGBTQ equality makes him a dangerous choice to maintain law and order and is yet another instance of Donald Trump and Mike Pence attacking LGBTQ people from the federal bench.”
- Citing it as an undue burden, The EPA has dropped a requirement that mining companies prove they have money in reserved for pollution clean up. Abandoned mines and contaminated sites litter our land. Those that profit from mining should be responsible for cleaning up after themselves. Let Scott Pruit and your members of Congress know we want mining companies to clean up! (From the Chicago Tribune)
William Jefferson Clinton Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Mail Code: 1101A
Washington, DC 20460
- Urge your members of Congress and Trump to call off the charade of a military parade scheduled for Veteran’s Day (November 11, 2018). This is a waste of resources and nothing more than grandstanding. A ridiculous display. A national embarrassment. “The D.C. City Council … already tweeted its objections ("Tanks but No Tanks”).” Seriously, “tanks but no tanks” is a wonderful rallying cry against this travesty. Read more at NPR.
Past Public Comments
- Help the National Parks Conservation Association fight a new commercial spaceport near Cumberland Island National Seashore. Help Protect Cumberland Island's Water, Wildlife and Visitors! Read more and sign the petition here.
- The Trump administration and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) are getting closer and closer to drilling in the pristine Alaska Arctic Refuge. Please make your voice heard and help stop this abomination.
Please see the second page of this notice for contact information. (Note: this is a PDF)
Here is the most pertinent contact info:
BLM, Alaska State Office, Attention – Coastal Plain EIS
222 West 7th Avenue, #13
Anchorage, AK 99513-7599
Past U.S. Postcard Campaigns
- Is climate change causing sea levels to rise? It couldn’t be caused by humans! “Alabama Republican Rep. Mo Brooks offered an additional culprit: soil or rock deposits into the world's waters.” (From CNN)
If you would like to provide Mr. Brooks with some scientific articles on climate change to help educate him, please do!
Rep. Mo Brooks
2400 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
- “No legacy is so rich as honesty.” - William Shakespeare
The abundance of lies that our President has told since in office is staggering. Send him a postcard letting him know that we don’t appreciate him sullying the office of the President of the United States of America. Trump’s lies are tarnishing our reputation with our allies and across the world. Even white lies are not ok from the White House! Read more at Politifact and The Washington Post
- You may have heard MSNBC's Joy Reid claimed her blog from 10 years ago was hacked via the Wayback Machine (a digital Internet archive). There is no proof of a hack, but Joy Reid continues to claim she didn't write the posts in question. Even more curious is the lack of media attention by liberal media outlets. Had this been a conservative channel host, MSNBC would have been all over it. If we aren't willing to call out "one of our own" then we are supporting bias. (From The Intercept)
Read more here.
Send MSNBC a postcard letting them know if you don't appreciate the lying and the bias.
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, N.Y. 10112
- Tell Trump, as the President of this country, he should file his taxes on the deadline like everyone else. Yes, people sometimes get an extension but perhaps if he had spent less time on the golf course and more time working on his taxes, he would have them in on time. In addition, he still hasn’t (and likely never will) released his tax returns to the public like previous Presidents have. Read more at NPR.
- In 2006, Sheriff Donny Youngblood, who is located in Kern Co, CA, a county “with an outsized number of police shootings once said that it was ‘better financially’ to kill suspects than wound them.” He said, “‘Because if you cripple them you have to take care of them for life and that cost goes way up.’” Having people in charge and in a position of power that do not respect human life is simply wrong and dangerous. (From MSN)
Send him a postcard with your thoughts:
Sheriff Donny Youngblood
Kern County Sheriff's Office
1350 Norris Road
Bakersfield, CA 93308-2231
or email at
- Flint will end the free bottled water program. While Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder states the water quality is "well within the standards,” Pediatrician Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha tweeted “Until all lead pipes are replaced, state should make available bottled water and filters to Flint residents.” If you are concerned about the drinking water in Flint please contact Gov. Rick Snyder and make your thoughts heard. Read more at CNN.
Governor Rick Snyder
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Past Positive Notes
- Hawaii and Maryland are the latest states to ban conversion therapy for minors. This controversial practice of trying to convert sexual orientation and gender identity is slowly being outlawed. Let’s thank the Governors of these states for signing the bills into law.
SB270 was signed into law by Hawaii Governor David Ige on May 25, 2018.
The Honorable David Y. Ige
Governor, State of Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone: (808) 586-0034
Fax: (808) 586-0006
Email Governor Ige
SB1028 was signed into law by Maryland Governor Larry Hogan on May 15, 2018
Gov. Larry Hogan
100 State Circle
Annapolis, MD 21401
Phone: (410) 974-3901
- Does the news bring you down these days? Check out The Good News Network for uplifting and positive news stories and podcasts. Their mission statement: “Since 1997, people have turned to the Good News Network® as an antidote to the barrage of negativity experienced in the mainstream media. Because of its long history, staying power, and public trust, GNN has remained #1 on Google. From its beginnings, the website has been a clearinghouse for the gathering and dissemination of positive news stories from around the globe, confirming what people already know — that good news itself is not in short supply; the broadcasting of it is.” You can tell them thank you for spreading good news!
Good News Network, LLC
PO Box 428
Manassas, VA 20108
- Consider sending Senator Isakson a thank you for defending Senator Jon Tester's investigation into the allegations against Dr. Ronny Jackson, the man picked to be the VA Secretary. President Trump took to Twitter to lambast Sen. Tester - telling him to resign because Dr. Jackson withdrew his name for consideration.
"Sen. Johnny Isakson (Ga.), the Republican chairman of the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, does not “have a problem” with how misconduct allegations against Navy Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson were handled, his office said Saturday." (From The Hill)
United States Senate
131 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
- If you are a supporter, please let Chuck Schumer know that you think decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level is an idea that is ripe. Marijuana would be treated similarly to tobacco and alcohol in terms of advertising and states would decide how to regulate it. (From The Hill)
322 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: (202) 224-6542
Or send an email here.
- Rather than returning them to manufacturers, Dick’s Sporting Goods has chosen to destroy the guns and gun accessories it removed from shelves earlier this year. Let Dick’s know if you appreciate this. (From 11Alive)
Dick’s Sporting Goods
345 Court St
Coraopolis, PA 15108
- JUST water company “is vowing to donate water each month to Flint, Michigan, schools until the city’s water is drinkable again.” JUST water has some famous folks as founders including Calvin Harris, Will and Jada Smith, and Lionel Ritchie. They have a sustainable business plan and use environmentally friendly packaging. They even encourage people to drink filtered tap water and buy their water only when needed. Read more about them here. (From The Huffington Post)
Let the company know you if appreciate their noble goals and their support of Flint’s children. Email them at: email@example.com
“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.”
Past Local Writing Campaigns and Topics
The Georgia state legislature 2018 session ended March 29, 2018.
- You may recall that in April, eight Dekalb County bus drivers were fired for participating in a strike for better pay and benefits. There is a call to reinstate these bus drivers. You can participate in a call in campaign by following instructions here. or write to the Dekalb County Board of Education (address to members of Board or Dr. Michael Erwin, Chair).
DeKalb County Board of Education
Robert R. Freeman Administrative Complex
1701 Mountain Industrial Boulevard
Stone Mountain, GA 30083
- GA SB 263 According to Better Georgia, “Republicans in the state legislature are up to their same old tricks, using racist tactics to try to save their own hides. They’re currently trying to create a new, very white city in a part of metro Atlanta where people of color make up nearly three-quarters of the population.” Read more at Better Georgia. This comes in the form of GA Senate Bill 263. On April 5th, 2018 it was sent to Governor Deal. If this bothers you, please urge Governor Deal not to sign this piece of legislation. Read the full bill here.
Email here or call 404-656-1776
Office of the Governor
206 Washington Street
111 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.”